Friday 10 February 2017

Devyn Quinn



Author Name: Devyn Quinn
Best Known Works: Echoes of Angels
Where Can You Find Her? Website, Facebook




Hi Devyn, thank you for taking the time to talk to us!

When and why did you begin writing?

I began writing in my teens to battle an ongoing issue with depression. Having a place to vent my frustrations with daily life helps keep me calm. 

When did you realize that you were Pagan?

I realized early in life that organized religion did not work for me. I am a skeptic and want to see it to believe it, and am not one to take things on faith alone. The idea that so many believe in religion(s) created by man simply because someone a long time ago “said so” didn’t set well with me, and I began to look toward nature and its cycles to determine the course of my life. I am a hardcore pagan, and refuse to be swayed by the arguments of Christians— and others— that I am “going to hell” because I do not believe the way they do. This is lunacy at its finest and I refuse to give credence to any fanatic who judges me based on archaic texts that belittle women, alternative beliefs and lifestyle choice.

Is this your first published piece or have you had work published before?

Published many times through the last 25 years.

Do you plan your stories before you begin?

I usually have a rough idea of what I want to do and where the story needs to go. The rest of the time, I let the characters move the action.

Tell us a bit about your story, key characters and plot.

Echoes of Angels (# 1, Keepers of Eternity) introduces the idea that cultic beings live and move through the human world, as well as other dimensions adjacent to our own. I use many common themes, touching on Druidism, Celtic lore, magick and ritual witchcraft, giving old legends a unique twist as dictated by my imagination. My main character, Morgan-Saint Evanston is not only an immortal, he is a great-grandson of the Celtic goddess Cerredwen (my spelling) and is moving from immortal to god. His journey has been a difficult one, as he learns to accept what he really is and the destiny fate has written for him.  It’s really an exciting series, and I love creating my own unique vision of demons, vampires, werewolves, Djinn and other supernatural beings.

Do we see some of you in your book? 

Most definitely. My main character also suffers from depression, and it is an ongoing battle for him to keep sane.

Has your style changed over the past five years?

I can tell a difference. Where I used to be verbose and over-describe a setting, I have cut back to allow the reader to use their own imagination to visualize a scene and characters.

Do you socialize with other writers or are you a solitary author? 

I am solitary and prefer to keep to myself.

Do you ever suffer from writer’s block and, if so, how do you overcome it?

Yes, I do, and I have quit writing many times through the years. I usually end up coming back and finishing another book when the images in my mind become too annoying to ignore.

Are you published or self published, and what has been your experience of this process?

I have been published by New York (Kensington and Signet/NAL) as well as independent presses. I have to admit I do not enjoy the New York process at all. The deadlines, slow payment and competition among authors to continually sell, sell, sell really turned me off and destroyed my enjoyment of the creative process. I presently publish through a small independent press and the control given to authors is awesome. I control my work, not the other way around.

Do you think eBooks have changed the publishing market for better or worse?

Of course, eBooks have changed the market. In one way, they make books more accessible to readers, as they give instant gratification to those who prefer to buy online. On the other hand, they have made books so much easier to pirate. It isn’t hard to download a book, strip the DRM and then re-upload it to a pirate site. I am afraid the advent of technology has caused writers to lose a lot of lost sales. This, in turn, impacts their bottom line and, often, affects their ability to keep on writing.

How important are reviews of your work, do you read them?

I read reviews, but don’t pay them much mind. Everyone has a right to state their opinion, and even if they didn’t like my book, they still read it.

Do you ever dream about writing? 

Yes, I do. Especially when I am working on a book.

If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you most like a writing retreat?

Ireland.

What are your future plans for writing? 

Currently I am working on book five of my Keepers of Eternity series, Ashes to Ashes.

***

Thank you again for sharing your experience and your process. We wish you all the best with your future projects!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. There may be a delay between posting your comment and it appearing. Thanks for taking the time to get involved.